If you need to author, develop, and launch a website quickly, consider using Google Sites.
My preferred method of Website development is either hand-coding HTML, or using a Web content management system such as DotNetNuke or Wordpress. Customer requirements such as budget, time frame and functionality is the major "driver" on which path I choose to take.
Google Sites platform has become be a good option because it allows me to deploy rapid website development solutions for my cost conscious customers.
Below, I will summarize the pro's and con's of using Google Sites.
What is Google Sites:
Similar to other website builders such as Wix, Yola or Weebly...Google Sites is a free Website CMS hosted in the Google Apps cloud.
Benefits of Google Sites:
- Cost - Google Sites (as of now) is a free service*.
- Speed - Rapid development using prebuilt templates.
- Stability - Hosting is provided via the Google Apps cloud.
- Semi-Custom - Template design can be modified using the Web-based GUI. Including colors, fonts, background images, etc.
- Ease of Use - Add new pages and content easily using the browser based admin screens.
- Gadgets - Simple integration with Google's family of products including Picasa, Docs, Calendar, YouTube, Drive and more.
- SEO - Integrated search engine friendly code.
Limitations of Google Sites:
- Customization - No access to the core template html code. This limits what can be changed.
- Functionality - Unlike other CMS platforms, access to third party plugins (gadgets) is limited. This may change as the technology evolves.
- Commenting - Guest comments are not allowed. This is a barrier to visitor communication and engagement.
Google Site Examples:
The Google Sites platform is a perfect fit for simple websites which require DIY maintenance. The out-of-the-box functionality will server most small business owners well. It is a great alternative to the more robust web CMS platforms. An ideal solution for hobbyists, organizations, sports teams, "mom and pops", and more.
Looking for custom Google Sites web design? Contact us for more information. Although Google Sites are DYI, some of the template customization may require the help of a designer and or Photoshop expert.
*Vanity domains require domain registration.