Why Duct Tape Isn't a Long-Term Fix for Poor Search Rank
I sit down with a client and they give me the lowdown. Then they throw some questions at me and hope I can give them a sensible answer. I try my best. It goes something like this:
- Our Website is "better" than the competition, how come it doesn't rank? Well turns out the competitor (whether by accident, hard work, or both) has established themselves as an industry authority. Or they've been lucky...it happens.
- Can't you throw a couple of keywords into the meta tags? Sure, that's a good start, but you need some substance behind it. Something for the search engines to "digest".
- Will I rank #1? Ah yes, my favorite question. Sure it's possible, IF you work really hard at putting together a compelling website. One that differentiates itself, by offering visitors something useful or buzz worthy. *See the glue approach below.
I suggest to them two methods for improving their website's search rank. A choice between duct tape or super glue. The analogy seems to work. I mean, what can't be fixed with duct tape and super glue?
- The Duct Tape Approach: It's often temporary and won't hold together forever
Submit your website to paid directories, create a high budget pay-per-click campaign, engage in "questionable" link bait practice and ...cross your fingers.
- The Glue Approach: It's sticky and can create a lasting bond
Craft a website with a mix of keyword rich content, integrate social media feeds and social sharing, establish author credibility, deliver a pleasant user experience, write clean code and ...repeat.
I've seen both approaches work, however, I wouldn't put my faith in the tape holding up. As for the glue, well that comes in a variety of flavors. I would go with a super glue or epoxy resin rather than a generic white glue. Caution, wear some gloves when your handling that stuff! You might want to bring in a professional :-)
Patrick LaJuett operates a website design and marketing agency where he supports his clients as a Web technology consultant and search marketing strategy advisor.